Five layers of epidermis in descending orderStarting from outermost region it is divided into the following five parts or strata in the following order:
- Stratum corneum
- Stratum lucidum
- Stratum granulosum
- Stratum spinosum
- Stratum basale (also called "stratum germinativum")
The melanocytes are present in the deepest part and they produce and transfer the skin pigment to the surrounding keratinocytes. Langerhans cells detect the intruding foreign bodies and transport them to lymphocytes present in dermis. Merkel cells present at the deepest part of epidermis function as mechanoreceptors.
- Papillary dermis.
- Reticular dermis.
- Definition and function of hypodermis.
- Skin sensitive to touch.
- Different type of face skin.
- Main functions of human skin.
- Know your skin.
- Nourishing skin with fruits and vegetables.
- Small itchy water blisters on hands and feet.
- Cosmetic laser treatments - Types of cosmetic lasers.
1.Harding, C. R. (2004), The st. corneum: structure and function in health and disease. Dermatologic Therapy, 17: 6–15. doi: 10.1111/j.1396-0296.2004.04S1001.x
License: Public domain
Current topic: Parts of epidermis - five layers in descending order.